Saturday, 12 May 2007

Daily Coin Art - The 2nd 20 cents NZ

After the $1 was brought in to NZ currency with the Kiwi on it, they re-designed the 20c.
From then on it had a Pukaki on it, which is a '...
reproduction of a specific carving of an 18th century Maori warrior leader called Pukaki, who was a Rangatira (Chief) of the Ngati Whakaue..." according to one of the NZ currency websites.

I enjoy doing the Maori designs as they are more linear and remind me very much of aztec style. I probably put far more detail in this than was necessary, but it surprised me to realise that this figure wasn't just a "Tiki".


This 20c is lighter in colour than the last one as my model was one of the brand new coins !

I have just finished the $1 painting which has a deep burgandy surround... Only 2 more to paint in this set.
I've decided once 3 of these have sold, I will start on the Australian coins. These are the ones I actually grew up with so I'm looking forward to this....


Rachel.

My Auction is looking a little more respectable now :) ( Thanks David !)

No comments: