Thursday, 10 May 2007

Coin Art - Ten NZ Cents

Coin Art - Ten NZ Cents

I know I've skipped one, but the five cent has been a real pain and I want it to look like something before I put it up here !!

Anyway.... The 10 cent piece was also fun !
It is of a carved head but put in the shape of a butterfly. The carving in Maori is called Koruru.
The ten cent used to be a silver type coin but in 2006 they decided to not only make it our lowest coin denomination (can you believe that ??!!) but also a copper style coin.
Sure, the coppers look pretty when they are released, but as soon as they tarnish they are just horrible copper coins.
I dont know, I think it devalues the coin... but that's just me !

Anyway, I have chosen to portray the silver type coin as it reminds me less of this blunder... I mean, Change :)

NZ Coins are now minted at the Royal Canadian Mint !

Again, this is 12" square and painted in oils. The background is a thick black which contrasts well with the silver (grey really with blue tinge).

Dont for get to check out how my 2 cent auction is doing.... HERE

No comments: