Saturday, 19 May 2007

Coin Art - NZ Two Dollars - The White Heron


This is my favourite so far !!

The thing I love about coins is the amazing imagery you can find on them if you actually look !
Most people just consider the humble coin as a means to an end... give them this and I get that.
Sure there are a vast number of coin collectors (as there always has been) and these people appreciate them for different reasons, but do they think about the money they use ??
I dont really collect coins... I have lots of them and have hoarded lots over the years but I wouldn't consider myself a numastist.
I just have an appreciation for the ordinary.

So back to the painting !
I took a little artistic licence with this one and had fun painting it. In New Zealand the White Heron is called Kotuku and is actually a Great Egret (Not the Great White Egret, though !).
Anyway, on our $2 coin it shows this fantastic bird in flight with a Maori inspired design over the top. The coin is 10 grams and is a gold coloured metal.

I think the hardest part was keeping the lettering straight !
I have just taken this pic and I put a final coat on the background last night so it is still wet.

This one is NOT FOR SALE as I'm going to take a huge leap and enter it into a local art comp. that has called for unique takes on Kiwi Icons. Not saying that it'll be accepted, but I may as well try :)

I've almost finished the Bi-colour New Zealand $10 coin so that will be next.
Cant wait to start on the Aussie Money !!

Later,

Rachel.

PS; Remember; All Paintings remain © copyright RA Hammond 2007, All rights Reserved.
(And if you want to purchase one I'll have paypal purchase buttons up today)

No comments: